Saturday, March 10, 2012

Christian Love vs. Tolerance Part 4

Once again I apologize that it has been so long between the posts in this series. I am not one to make excuses for myself because I believe that if something or someone is important to you, you make time for it (or save up money for it, or practice it, or whatever the case may be.. you spend resources to prioritize it in your life). Unfortunately, I have failed to make this a priority in my life the past few weeks. However, I started this series because I felt led to do so, so I need to see it through.

At this time I would like to talk about what Tolerance looks like.

I tolerate my son whining when I know he is tired. (He doesn't know how to express himself)
I tolerate him playing with my phone when we are out and he has nothing else to play with. (I don't want him throwing a fit in public)
I tolerate him hanging all over me. (He is little and I will miss his affection when he is older)
I tolerate him pulling on his little brother. (He wants to play with him, and I want them to get along)

I tolerate people exaggerating stories to me. (Some people don't even realize they are doing it)
I tolerate people being lazy.. sometimes. (It's nicer for me to just do more work than to get into a conflict and lose my temper)

I tolerate the house being messy. (I need to focus on taking care of the kids, doing homework, and spending time with my husband)
I tolerate Gav's work schedule. (We need to survive!)

None of these things are things that I particularly like, but I put up with them. I deal with them.

The idea is pretty much the same when dealing with our friends, family, acquaintances, enemies, etc. who do not claim to be Christian. We can love them, or we can put up with them.

Tolerating them looks like this:

I don't like that you're gay, but I'm just going to ignore it. It's not that big of a deal.
I don't like that you're atheist, but we can be friends if we don't have to talk about religion. It's your soul.
I don't like that you sleep around, but it's none of my business. It's your future.

What I am trying to convey is that Love vs. Tolerance is mostly about attitude.

And do not for one second think that a person can not tell what your attitude about them is. I will grant that some people seem pretty clueless.. and probably are.. but the vast majority of people know (even if they don't act like it) when you are "putting up" with them, and when you are actually "okay" with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment